The WFTDA-Recognized Tournaments Program recognizes and supports high-quality WFTDA-member hosted tournaments worldwide.
While allowing for various tournament structures, this program establishes a consistent standard for tournament officiating and games management across all WFTDA-Recognized Tournaments. In exchange, the host league receives the right to carry the WFTDA-Recognized Tournament tagline and is provided with additional WFTDA promotional support.
To Host League
The WFTDA-Recognized Tournament program gives host leagues the ability to brand their tournament or multi-game weekend as a quality, official WFTDA tournament.
The designation includes a package of marketing and networking benefits such as:
- Use of the WFTDA-Recognized Tournament tagline “A WFTDA-Recognized Tournament”
- Use of the Recognized Tournament logo on promotional materials
- Strong consideration for WFTDA.tv Live Streaming Application (league-produced streaming carried on WFTDA.tv, must meet all requirements)
- Marketing Pillar availability for consultation on tournament marketing endeavors
- Print advertising in FiveonFive listing all WFTDA-Recognized Tournaments, where possible
- Recognition and designation as an official WFTDA-Recognized Tournament on the Events listing of wftda.com and on the WFTDA forum
- WFTDA Social Media support on Facebook, Twitter
- WFTDA messaging support – a “Key Mentions” document and WFTDA brand training
- Support from other WFTDA-Recognized Tournaments – the WFTDA expects that all selected events will cross-promote the series of 2019 events with creative and message provided by the WFTDA
To WFTDA and WFTDA Membership
The WFTDA-Recognized Tournaments Program will provide:
- WFTDA support and branding of member-league operated tournaments worldwide.
- Consistent use of WFTDA Rankings system for host-run tournaments.
- A standard level of experience for Tournament Head Officials.
- Use of an application and hiring process for tournament officials.
- Use of Games and officiating standards across WFTDA-member hosted tournaments.
- Promotion by the WFTDA and increased marketing support for host-run events.
- Better tournaments and support for rankings play in these events.
- An opportunity for events to work together to promote a “season” of events
Eligibility and Requirements
In addition to all tournament sanctioning requirements listed in the WFTDA Sanctioning Policy, a WFTDA-Recognized tournament must meet the following requirements:
- The tournament must take place during the WFTDA Competitive Season which runs from February 1 to June 30.
- At least 50% of games in the tournament must be WFTDA-sanctioned.
- The tournament must use WFTDA Rankings for any seeding of teams into brackets or high seed/low seed determinations. The host league may determine the ranking period based on which seedings will be set and must communicate that date in advance to participants.
- The tournament must be open to the public, or if not, include video or audio broadcast to the public.
Officiating and Oversight
- The Tournament Host must provide a staffing plan for officiating, including the staffing of the Tournament Head Referee (THR) and Tournament Head NSO (THNSO). The WFTDA recommends hiring a certified official or an official with prior tournament experience at a comparable level of play. THOs may officiate during the tournament.
- The Tournament Host must arrange for a Games Tournament Oversight Officer (GTO) to provide oversight for the entire tournament. The GTO must provide completion document of the WFTDA GTO online course prior to the tournament.
- The tournament must follow the WFTDA Tournament Code of Conduct.
- The Tournament Host must arrange for a Safety Director for the tournament. The individual must complete an online safety course prior to tournament start.
- Tournament Officials will utilize current WFTDA officiating hand signals, verbal cues, and standard practices.
- The WFTDA will provide a marketing package to all selected tournaments
- The tournament must place the supplied WFTDA-Recognized Tournament logo on all promotional materials. (The WFTDA-Recognized Tournament logo must not be larger than the tournament and/or host league logos.)
- The tournament must make available advertising space at their event, to cross-promote all selected 2019 events
- The WFTDA will provide a WFTDA-Recognized Post-Tournament Play Survey to each selected tournament host league
- Within two weeks of the completion of the tournament, each host will solicit survey participation from a representative from each attending league, TH, and Crew Head (CH) Officials and set deadlines for the survey’s closure.
- Accept feedback and survey results from the WFTDA within two weeks of the closure of the WFTDA-Recognized Post-Tournament Play Survey.
Application, Approval, and Appeals Process
WFTDA-Recognized Tournament status is granted for one calendar year and does not renew automatically. Tournament hosts must apply to renew their WFTDA-Recognized Tournament status annually.
Application Process and Dates
A WFTDA-Recognized Tournaments Review Panel will collect all application materials via a Google application form (below).
The application schedule is as follows:
|Sept. 13, 2018||Opening date for applications for the 2019 Recognized Tournament season.|
|Oct. 31, 2018||Applications deadline.|
|November 2018||2019 WFTDA-Recognized Tournaments announcement.|
To apply the host must:
- Complete an application.
- Submit a tournament bracket, schedule, or schedule plan.
- Submit the officials application and description of the officials hiring and staffing process.
Prior to the tournament, the host must:
- Provide the GTO’s name and proof of prior completion of the WFTDA online GTO course.
Completion of the Tournament Head Officials, Safety Director, and GTOs hiring is not required prior to the application deadline. Final WFTDA-Recognized Tournament status will be subject to the completed requirements of hiring these officials.
The WFTDA-Recognized Tournaments Review Panel will comprise a member of Competitive Play, a member of the Officiating Committee, and a member of the Marketing Pillar. The Review Panel will review all properly submitted applications and determine if the requirements of WFTDA-Recognized Tournaments are met.
Should an application be rejected, the Panel will provide specific feedback as to why the application was not selected for inclusion. Additionally, the host league will receive recommendations from the Panel to consider for tournament plans prior to the next application review cycle.
WFTDA has no limit on the number of tournaments that may be approved for the program, as long as each tournament meets all program requirements stipulated.
Failure to immediately conform to the requirements of the program upon notice of the host league’s failure to comply will result in a rescission of the tournament’s WFTDA-Recognized Tournament status.
Should a tournament host believe the application or renewal application was arbitrarily or capriciously rejected, they may submit a letter of appeal to the Games Officer at firstname.lastname@example.org. The Games Officer will review both the application and rejection notification and feedback. The Games Officer will communicate a final position on the petition back to the league within two weeks of receipt of the appeal.
The WFTDA will make every effort to assist a tournament host with a successful application and tournament, as long as the host is able to meet the requirements listed in the 2019 WFTDA-Recognized Tournament Eligibility and Requirements section.
Download the WFTDA-Recognized Tournament Application Guide for a list of application questions and information needed to fill out the application form.