Careers and Requests For Proposals
WFTDI Canada Translator Contract Position
WFTDI Canada is a subsidiary of WFTDI and our mission is “To provide resources and services to the Canadian roller derby community.” Having communications, social media content and resources in both official languages of Canada is a priority in staying true to our value of an inclusive roller derby community in Canada.
This position requires a candidate who is familiar with the sport of roller derby and experience working in a membership organization and with non-profit &/or profit organizations is highly regarded.
We strongly encourage BIPOC and other marginalized persons to apply. It is important for us to do a better job of representing the community and our diverse perspectives. Even if you feel like you don’t fully match the criteria, please reach out. We acknowledge that we have implicit biases that have informed our job description and while we have tried to rectify that, we know that we are not always successful.
Hours: 1-4 hrs per week (subject to change), mid-October – December 2020 with potential to extend contract
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Translate English digital content (including blogs, web copy, ads, emails, and newsletters), print material (including signage, brochures and flyers), and internal communications (including membership communications, policies and procedures, by-laws, etc) into French
- Proofread and edit translations from other partners for conciseness, clarity, and tone, using brand standards as a guide for use by WFTDI Canada
- Translate rush messages on a priority basis
- Develop and maintain translation processes, methodology and standards with a focus on continuous improvement
- Establish a translation terminology database specific to roller derby and Québécois French and make recommendations to minimize future maintenance and duplication of effort
- Ensure a strong voice and brand consistency in all materials
- Collaborate closely with internal and external partners as needed
Experience & Skills Required
- Minimum of 1-3 years of translation experience
- Post-secondary education considered an asset
- Roller derby knowledge considered an asset
- Copywriting experience
- Credentials with Canadian Translators, Terminologists and Interpreters Council and/or Ordre des traducteurs terminologues et interprètes agréés du Québec an asset
- Above average writing, editing, grammar and punctuation skills
- Strong adherence to brand standards
- Strong understanding of layout and design considerations
- Ability to work within tight deadlines
- Capable of working independently and as part of a team
- Detailed oriented, with excellent time-management and organizational skills
- French to Québécois English translation proficiency
Application due September 7th, 2020. Please send resumé and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.