Careers and Requests For Proposals
Director of Communications and Marketing
Full-time exempt position
$55,000 USD, annually
WFTDA Executive Director
Formed in 2005, the Women’s Flat Track Derby Association (WFTDA) is a skater-owned and operated 501(c)3 non-profit based in Austin, TX, and a membership-based athletic organization. The WFTDA governs and promotes the sport of flat track roller derby and revolutionizes the role of women in sports through the collective voice of its member leagues around the world.
Under the supervision of the WFTDA Executive Director, the Director of Communications and Marketing is responsible for directing and building a variety of organizational communications, and content strategies for internal and external outreach. This Director ensures the WFTDA communicates with a clear and consistent voice to a variety of audiences, including foundations or others who could give financial support to the WFTDA.
This individual is likely to regularly work with WFTDA volunteers to execute communications tasks across WFTDA-social media, the WFTDA network of websites, PR, and development.
Essential Job Functions:
Communications and Messaging
- Develop and ensure a consistent voice for internal and external WFTDA communications;
- Oversee the content strategy, and the implementation of that content, including the facilitation of editing, proofing and finalizing of content from the WFTDA, including the external and internal work of other departments;
- Create and maintain internal communications plan and calendar designed to support the goals of the WFTDA
- Work with Membership to ensure members and member leagues receive necessary information in a timely manner, and that the information is clear and accessible;
- Work with Education Manager to ensure educational content is proofed and released in a timely manner and that information is clear and accessible;
- Manage and maintain public relations and media engagement strategy;
- Ensure that policies and procedures related to Marketing and Communications are drafted and maintained
- Develop and maintain an editorial calendar for website and social media content that supports the goals of the WFTDA, working in conjunction with the Marketing staff or contractor and includes specific Development focused content to reach potential and returning donors.
- Coordinate media coverage requests for WFTDA and events
- Advise staff and leadership on public interactions and develop messaging
- Build a messaging strategy for internal and external stakeholders
- Direct design and advertising needs of the WFTDA, as outlined in the annual design standards and WFTDA brand standards.
- Working with volunteers and contractors, develop and publish regular content to WFTDA website and social media accounts
- Grow and direct a Communications team within the WFTDA over the next few years of organizational growth
- Working with staff and leadership to develop and implement a communications plan and strategies that accomplish program goals and to ensure work is high impact
- Actively identify opportunities internally and externally for messaging and positioning
- Create budgets that maximize promotions and communications
- Identify opportunities for new partnerships or messaging platforms
- Lead the development of proposals and new projects in collaboration with directors/managers and other team members
- Experience building and leading complex teams; volunteer leadership a plus
- Highly collaborative and focused on working well with others
- Excellent writing, editing and speaking skills in English; familiarity with AP style preferred
- Writing/editing or fluency in additional languages a plus
- Accomplished project manager with outstanding organization
- Experience in grant-writing, development or non-profit fundraising desired
- Strong understanding of Social media and digital marketing tactics
- Bachelor’s degree in Communications, Marketing or equivalent professional experience;
- 7-10 years of Communications, Marketing, Advertising, Journalism, Writing, Editing or similar;
- Demonstrated budgetary and financial experience;
- Ability to work 35+ flexible hours, independently, telecommuting from a home office;
- Ability to attend events as needed, specifically during September, October, and November WFTDA postseason events;
- Understanding and familiarity with nonprofit or membership-based, athletic or women-focused organizations;
- Roller derby knowledge is preferred;
- Strong English-language skills preferred; non-native English speakers are welcome to apply;
- Additional language fluency is a plus!
The position oversees Communications and Marketing contractors, works alongside the Marketing Officer and will build a volunteer and paid Communications team over time. The position works closely with the Executive Director, staff, Board of Directors, committee chairs, and department heads as necessary to devise, implement and direct workflow around finances and operations.
This position is part of a virtual team. The Director of Communications must routinely be comfortable communicating and managing work and projects via virtual technologies.
Position Type and Expected Hours of Work
Some flexibility of hours is allowed, but the employee must be available during core working hours (time zone dependent), five days per week. Occasional evening and weekend work may be required as job duties demand.
The WFTDA provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, gender, sexual orientation, religion, national origin, geography, age, disability, or genetics. LGBTQ and persons of color are strongly encouraged to apply.
The WFTDA and its subsidiaries will provide basic health insurance and a 401k retirement plan for US employees. Non-US employees will be provided equitable benefits. All employees receive an Unlimited PTO package and a technology stipend, in a relaxed, collaborative remote working environment..
Our organization is committed to creating equitable and inclusive work environments to support the success of the full range of our employees. We believe that employees who feel valued and respected will create policies, programs, practices and services to effectively meet the needs and exceed the expectations of our increasingly diverse customer populations.
We encourage candidates to apply who have demonstrated capacity to create inclusive work environments, work effectively on increasingly diverse teams, and serve the increasingly diverse clients of our organization.
We are committed to hiring and retaining a diverse, culturally competent staff at all levels of the organization who not only reflect the demographics of our clients but also continue to deepen their skills and competencies to serve the full range of our customers.
Interested candidates please send your resume and cover letter by March 13 to email@example.com. References and writing samples may be requested.