Support the WFTDA COVID-19 Recovery Fund
Support the WFTDA COVID-19 Recovery Fund
Help Us Get Roller Derby Back on Track!
The WFTDA Covid-19 Return to Roller Derby Guidelines have provided guidance for leagues globally on how to assess their local infection rates and pandemic restrictions to know how to safely return to roller derby activity. These guidelines were highly praised by the press and were requested by organizations such as LEAP Sports Scotland, Women’s Football Alliance, Purdue & Temple University, Hawaiian Airlines, USRowing, and USA Cycling in addition to members of the of the roller derby community.
Throughout the global COVID-19 pandemic, the WFTDA and our community members put #LivesBeforeLaces in a way that no other sport has; to date, we have had no reported cases of COVID-19 as a result of playing WFTDA roller derby. Our refusal to contribute to cases has resulted in significant harm reduction in 450 communities across 33 countries where WFTDA leagues play.
While this approach saved lives, halting our sport has significantly impacted revenue in the WFTDA and our member organizations. The consequences are varied, from keeping organizations and operations alive to losing venues, sponsors, or other supporters. This means a loss of $6million US in revenue from canceled WFTDA and member-league games and tournaments in 2020 due to the COVID-19 shutdown worldwide.
The Need for Roller Derby
To help rebuild our community, we are establishing the WFTDA COVID-19 Recovery Fund, creating a network of fundraising to help us rebuild the sport of roller derby together. The WFTDA COVID-19 Recovery Fund will provide microgrants to support our community in their post-COVID-19 roller derby recovery.
The WFTDA has always envisioned a world in which community drives the values of the sport, and keeping this in focus has helped guide us through a challenging time. As many professional sports found out in 2020, you cannot separate the people who participate in a sport from their lived experiences, and their need for safe, equitable participation. The work we do matters, and it strengthens our community’s commitment to keeping each other safe.
Honoring that commitment is what sets WFTDA roller derby apart from other sports, and it’s why we need roller derby now more than ever.
Read More About Our Work
- 2020 IMPACT REPORT
- Ensuring that Women’s and Amateur Sport Will Be Here this and Next Year
- Laws Targeting Trans Athletes Have Made Roller Derby a Safe Haven
- Find more coverage on our efforts and achievements in our Press Room
How to Support the Fund
Women’s sports are used to doing heavy economic lifting within their own communities and will continue to do so coming out of the pandemic. But we can’t do this alone. This is why we need your help in fundraising for and with our community, and to help us rebuild the sport of roller derby together.
We have several ways that you can help us make sure roller derby will survive!
- Donate: Help leagues minimize their financial risk and get back on track by donating to our recovery fund or by matching donations. You can donate directly to the fund in our Kindest.com fundraiser.
- Share the Message: Help us promote the recovery fund. We appreciate any kind of outreach, advertising, and communication support. Make sure you’re following us on social media (listed at the top and bottom of this website) and boost our posts when you see them.
- Purchase a “The Pack is Back WFTDA Return to Play” product from our partner Frogmouth.
- Become a Partner: The Women’s Flat Track Derby Association (WFTDA) wants to join forces with progressive organizations, influential brands and supporting individuals to change the world of women’s sports and to get roller derby back on track. Become a WFTDA Partner and raise awareness with and for us. Roller derby and women’s sport are vital and need to be supported.
- General Support: See Other Ways to Support WFTDA
- Share Your Ideas: Do you have a totally different idea? Get in touch with us and let us know!