The Women’s Flat Track Derby Association (WFTDA) has released a new version of The Rules of Flat Track Roller Derby, which is a minimal update to the previous edition published January 1, 2019. The WFTDA has developed and published The Rules of Flat Track Roller Derby under the leadership of the WFTDA Rules Committee comprised of WFTDA, Men’s Roller Derby Association (MRDA) and Junior Roller Derby Association (JRDA) members, and with participation and review by WFTDA member leagues.
Leagues may immediately begin adopting the new rules. All WFTDA-sanctioned play will be required to implement these changes by February 1, 2020.
The 2020 release of The Rules of Flat Track Roller Derby incorporates the following changes, also outlined on the changes document (though everyone is encouraged to read the new rules in their entirety as no summary can capture every change).
- 2.2.3. Pivot Blocker – edited for clarity
- 2.2.4 – Passing the Star – changed word “ground” to “floor” for clarity
- 2.5 – Passing – changed word “ground” to “floor” for clarity
- Glossary entry: Down – edited for clarity
- Glossary entry: Straddling – edited for clarity
- Scenario C3.1.D – changed word “ground” to “floor” for clarity
- Scenario C4.1.2.C – changed word “drive” to “strike” for clarity
- Scenario C4.2.3.C – edited for clarity
The following new glossary entry and Casebook entry were added:
- Glossary entry: Impeding
- Scenario C4.2.1.M – Penalization in the case where multiple blockers fail to reform the pack
All Rules related documents can be found on the WFTDA Resources website under Competition > Rules.